27 April 2011

Lulu's Under the Sea Party {2010}

Since I didn't launch my shiny new blog until late last summer, I never did share the photos from my littlest one's third birthday party with you! It's hard to believe we are getting ready to celebrate her 4th birthday in just a few days!!


Now my Lulu didn't have a first birthday party... or a second. So for her third I wanted to do whatever she wanted, which was The Little Mermaid. Ok, so I did whatever she wanted with one small compromise - no Disney (sorry kid!) I spent weeks adding little decorations to the house here and there, and every time something new would appear, the sweet thing threw her arms around my legs and with her loviest eyes told me "Mommy, I jus YOVE my birtday pawty, fank you SO much!" Which was a tear jerker for mommy every time. Anndddd it made it kind of hard to stop decorating!


I wanted seaweed from the ceiling as if the party were underwater, so I use several packages of tissue paper and cut stacks upon stacks of seaweed that I strung with simple fishing line and thumb tacks. I also added lanterns in blues and green at random for bubbles, and scattered the floor with matching balloons as well. The project was very time consuming, but had a very small price tag!


I also added fishing nets to the table and dangling from the corners of the rooms, with die cut sea creatures on the windows and nets.


My favorite project was the edible (and most delicious) candy aquariums. Oh Nuts! Is a fabulous candy retailer and I was able to buy orange rock candy crystals for the sand, swizzle sticks for coral, white sixlets for pearls and foiled milk chocolate fish. By the way, the chocolate fish are to die for!


I also made mini aquariums for favors, and set up a deserted beach island complete with a treasure box filled with pearl sixlets and chocolate coins.


Tableware was wrapped in blue napkins and tied with hemp twine, and set in a plain little metal tub lined with trimmed tissue paper seaweed and a cute little sea turtle.


I had so much food to put on the table I didn't fuss much with a desert display, but the fishing net below made it easy to carve out a space for cake and cupcakes and add a few glass baubles and pearls. I did give in and put a Little Mermaid candle on the cake to make my baby girl happy!


I used the party as a bit of an experiment for party hat templates (this one flopped failed miserably... you can't tell but there are three different types of tape and adhesive holding them together in the back) and to test out the new water bottle labels, which performed beautifully even after they were left outside in the rain storm!


Activities included a Mermaid photo station (painted by yours truly), the limbo made to look like palm trees (designed by your truly and put together with a little hubby help), a sandbox treasure hunt with sea creatures, and horseshoes with a fabulous seahorse themed set I found at Target. I also found sea creature inflatables in all sorts of sizes that the kids had a blast playing with in the trampoline.


I hope you enjoyed the photos as much I enjoyed photoshopping them for you hahaha!! Most of the day was very cloudy and overcast, and I hadn't yet purchased my really fabulous camera yet... so yes I tweaked these quite a bit! We had a wonderful time with a big group of friends, and Lulu had the "best birtday pawty eber"!

Stop back in a few days, I can't wait to share her 4th birthday with you as well!

8 comments:

  1. Awww Jill! This party was so cute I love Lulu's language - so incredibly cute. I love the mermaid station photo prop, you are amazing darn how do you know how to do so much?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, this party was adorable! I can't even imagine what you have in store for us this time! So excited and very happy to be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it!!!! You are genius! Annnddd I love, love, love your table. I am on the hunt for one JUST like it right now!!! GREAT work, Jill, as always!!!! Can't wait to see the latest party!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did SWIMMINGLY! LoVe the edible mini aquarium favors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures are great! Jake had so much fun in the sandbox treasure hunt and Emma had a blast on the trampoline!! I thought the hats were awesome and we still have ours! Jake likes to wear it and sing "happy birthday" to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you find the fishing nets?

    ReplyDelete

Home             About Me             Shop our Website             Shop on Etsy